- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups dark corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cold, brewed coffee
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9×13 inch pan.
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
Sign up now and get up to
Separate eggs. Beat egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form.
Cream shortening and sugar in mixing bowl until light and fluffy using electric mixer at medium speed. Blend in the corn syrup and egg yolks. Beat in vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with coffee to creamed mixture. Gently fold in egg whites. Pour batter into greased 13×9 inch pan.
Bake in preheated 350 degree F (175 degree C) oven for 45 minutes or until cake is done. Cool in pan on rack and frost as desired.