- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce (such as Dei Fratelli)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (such as Mexene)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup quinoa
Saute onion and garlic in a stockpot over medium-high heat until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili beans, kidney beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, and sugar; pour in 2 cups water and simmer until flavors blend, about 1 hour.
Sign up now and get up to
Bring 2 cups water and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir quinoa into chili.