- 2 pounds tomatillos, husked and cut in half
- 2 bunches green onions, ends trimmed
- 5 jalapeno peppers, halved and seeded
- 4 cloves garlic, or more to taste
- 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Combine tomatillos, green onions, jalapeno peppers, and garlic together in a baking dish.
Sign up now and get up to
Roast vegetables in the preheated oven until softened and fragrant, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C)
Pour roasted vegetables, cilantro, chicken stock, lime juice, and salt into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until a smooth salsa consistency is reached.
Place 6 tortillas, overlapping, in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish. Cover tortillas with 1/2 the chicken. Top chicken with 1/2 the mozzarella cheese and pour 1/2 the salsa over the cheese. Repeat layering process with remaining tortillas, chicken, mozzarella cheese, and salsa. Sprinkle crumbled queso fresco over the top.
Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling, about 25 minutes.