- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup drained cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
Dissolve the yeast and 2 tablespoons white sugar in the warm milk.
Sift flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture, egg yolks, salt, nutmeg, butter, and remaining sugar. Stir flour into center. Once combined turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface knead until dough is elastic. Cover and let dough rise overnight in the refrigerator.
Sign up now and get up to
Remove dough from the refrigerator and roll on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 2-inch rounds. Cover and let rise for about 15 to 20 minutes.
In a medium bowl combine the cottage cheese, egg, 3 tablespoons white sugar, and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
Form dough rounds into a ball and insert about 2 teaspoons of cheese filling into each of the rounds.
In a heavy pot, pour in oil to about the 2 1/2 inch mark. Heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drop sufganiot (doughnuts) into the oil in batches, turning when browned. Drain on paper towels and roll in confectioners' sugar.