- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1/3 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 1/3 cups butter lettuce – rinsed, and torn into small pieces
- 1 1/3 cups chopped fresh parsley
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, carrot, and celery; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent and the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Sign up now and get up to
Pour in chicken stock and rice; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 35 minutes or until rice is soft.
Stir in spinach, lettuce, and parsley; cook just until wilted. Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Use an immersion blender (or blend in batches in a blender) until smooth. The soup may be thinned with more broth, if desired. Refrigerate overnight before serving. Garnish as desired.