- 1 (15 ounce) can salmon, drained and liquid reserved
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, or more as needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups shortening, or more as needed
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, or as needed
Mix salmon, onion, and egg together in a bowl; stir in flour. Stir baking powder and 2 tablespoons reserved salmon liquid together in a separate bowl; stir into salmon mixture until mixture holds together when shaped. Add more flour if mixture is too soft. Add more reserved salmon liquid if mixture is too firm. Shape salmon mixture into small patties.
Sign up now and get up to
Heat shortening in a skillet over medium heat.
Spread cornmeal into a shallow bowl and press patties into cornmeal until evenly coated on both sides.
Fry patties in the hot shortening until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer patties to a paper towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon.