- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-cracked white pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg, or more to taste
- Salt to taste
- Ground white pepper to taste
Heat olive oil in a large pot over high heat. Cook and stir squash in hot oil until completely browned, about 10 minutes. Stir onion, butter, sea salt, and cracked white pepper into the squash; cook and stir together until the onions are completely tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
Sign up now and get up to
Pour chicken broth and honey over the mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until the squash is tender, about 5 minutes.
Pour the mixture into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid in place; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until smooth.
Stir cream, nutmeg, salt, and ground white pepper into the soup to serve.