- 2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarse sugar crystals, or as needed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Sign up now and get up to
Whisk brown sugar, shortening, butter, molasses, eggs, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, and cayenne pepper together in a large bowl until glossy; fold in flour until dough is just-combined.
Pour coarse sugar into a shallow bowl. Roll dough into 48 balls. Roll balls in sugar and place 2-inches apart on a baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven until the tops of the cookies crack, about 9 minutes.