- 1 (5 pound) pork shoulder roast
- 5 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
- 12 sandwich buns, split and toasted
Cut several slits into the fatty side of the pork shoulder. Insert garlic slices into slits. Transfer pork to a slow cooker, fat side up.
Sign up now and get up to
Mix coffee, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke in a bowl; pour over pork.
Cook pork on Low until very tender, about 8 hours. Carefully remove pork from slow cooker to a large plate; discard excess fat. Shred pork with 2 forks or by hand.
Reserve about 1/2 cup juices from the slow cooker; discard remaining liquid. Return shredded pork and juices to slow cooker and season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Add barbeque sauce and stir.
Heat pork on Low until sauce is hot, about 30 minutes more. Pile pork over toasted buns to serve.