- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (such as Rotel)
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup chile sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sliced jalapeno peppers, or to taste (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Sign up now and get up to
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef, onion, and green bell pepper in the hot skillet until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease.
Stir beef mixture, diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, water, rice, chile sauce, olives, jalapeno peppers, garlic, salt, brown sugar, ground cumin, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and black pepper together in a large pot over medium-low heat.
Bring beef-rice mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend, about 30 minutes. Stir in 1 cup Cheddar cheese. Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish and press down firmly. Top with remaining 1 cup Cheddar cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes. Top with chopped cilantro.