- 1 (16 ounce) package whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 10 ounces shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices American cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash soup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Combine elbow macaroni and water in the bottom of a 9×11-inch baking dish.
Sign up now and get up to
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk flour into melted butter until smooth. Gradually whisk milk into flour mixture; bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick, about 2 minutes.
Stir Cheddar cheese, American cheese, and Parmesan cheese into milk mixture until cheeses are melted and mixture is smooth. Gradually stir butternut squash soup into cheese mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour cheese mixture over elbow macaroni and stir to combine.
Bake in the preheated oven until top begins to brown, about 50 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.