- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 (10 ounce) boxes boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry; reserve 1/2 cup liquid
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper
Combine milk, spinach liquid and garlic in a 1-quart microwave-safe measuring cup or small bowl covered with a saucer, and microwave (or heat slowly in a medium saucepan) until very hot and steamy. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to soften garlic.
Sign up now and get up to
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour. Add hot milk mixture all at once, then whisk until smooth. Stir in spinach; cook until sauce is thick and bubbly and spinach is tender but still green, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese, nutmeg, and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Serve hot.