- 3 cups water, or as needed
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 (16 ounce) box dry fettuccine pasta
- 1/2 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add walnuts and cook until they have softened slightly, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Sign up now and get up to
Combine garlic and 1 pinch sea salt in the bowl of a mortar and pestle. Grind to create a thick paste. Add walnuts, marjoram, thyme, and oregano. Grind until combined and slightly creamy, but still coarse.
Transfer the walnut mixture to a large bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil to form a thick emulsion. Add heavy cream and Pecorino Romano cheese, whisk until combined. Season with black pepper and sea salt to taste.
Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in the fettuccine, return to a boil, and cook pasta over medium heat until cooked through but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
Toss walnut sauce with pasta. Garnish with fresh chives.