- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons liquid hickory smoke flavoring
- 7 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground dried chipotle pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder (such as Keen’s)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 3/4 pounds pork shoulder roast
Mix tomato paste, vinegar, onion flakes, yellow mustard, molasses, garlic, olive oil, and liquid smoke in a bowl to create a thick paste. Stir brown sugar, kosher salt, cumin, chipotle pepper, paprika, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper into tomato paste mixture.
Sign up now and get up to
Place pork shoulder into a slow cooker and add paste mixture.
Cook on High for 4 hours. Shred pork with 2 forks and remove bone. Reduce heat to Low and continue cooking for 1 to 2 more hours.