- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into small dice
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 medium celery stalks, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium bell pepper (red or yellow), stemmed, seeded and cut into medium dice
- 1 pound all-purpose potatoes, unpeeled and cut into medium dice
- 1 (16 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans cannellini or other white beans, undrained
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth in can or carton
- 7 ounces loosely packed baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Prepared pesto (found in grocer’s refrigerated section)
Heat oil in a soup kettle over medium-high flame. Add onions, and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add carrots, celery, peppers, potatoes, tomatoes, bean and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are just tender, about 15 minutes. Add spinach and peas; continue to simmer until spinach wilts, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls, adding a spoonful of pesto to each serving of soup.
Sign up now and get up to
For lunch, pack soup in separate leakproof containers. Warm soup in microwave and top with pesto.