- 5 tablespoons olive oil, or more as needed
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound beef chuck steak, cut across the grain into 1 1/2-inch-thin strips
- 1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup dry red cooking wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 ounce) package egg noodles
- 1 (15 ounce) jar Holland-style pearl onions, drained
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
Heat olive oil and butter together in a skillet over low heat until smooth.
Whisk flour, salt, and pepper together in a shallow bowl. Coat beef strips in flour mixture, gently shaking off any excess flour.
Sign up now and get up to
Increase heat under skillet to medium. Add beef to skillet and cook and stir until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Mix mushrooms into beef, adding more oil if pan is dry; cook and stir until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Pour wine into the skillet and bring to a boil while scraping the browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon; continue cooking until liquid is reduced by half, 5 to 10 minutes. Add beef broth and return to a boil.
Cover skillet and cook until beef is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook egg noodles in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 5 minutes. Drain.
Mix onions into beef mixture; cook and stir until onions are warmed, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and gently stir sour cream into beef mixture; serve over noodles.