- 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups water
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots, quartered
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
Dredge beef in flour and then, in a medium stock pot, brown beef on all sides in shortening. Add salt, pepper, water, onion, paprika, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and bay leave. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
Sign up now and get up to
Add carrots and potatoes and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
Remove bay leave and meat from stew, add 1 tablespoon flour or cornstarch and mix, in order to thicken stew. After mixing let sit for a few minutes to thicken, if not to desired thickness add more flour or cornstarch and repeat.
Once thickened return meat and add corn to stew, heat through and serve.