- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 thin slices prosciutto, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound frozen peas, thawed
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) package penne pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion and prosciutto in hot oil until onion is soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper into onion mixture; saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Sign up now and get up to
Pour chicken broth, tomato sauce, and thyme into onion mixture. Add peas and beans; bring to a boil. Stir penne into broth mixture and cook for 7 minutes; remove from heat.
Stir Parmesan cheese into penne mixture, cover the saucepan with a lid, and let sit until the pasta absorbs most of the liquid, about 5 minutes.