- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small sugar pumpkin, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 pound cubed cooked ham
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced sorrel
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a soup pot. Cook onion until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and diced pumpkin and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the beef broth, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Sign up now and get up to
While soup is simmering, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the kale and simmer until softened, about 3 minutes. Drain into a colander.
After soup has cooked for 15 minutes, add the kale, ham, and black beans; simmer for another 5 minutes. Stir in the sherry vinegar and sorrel; remove pot from the heat.