- 2 tablespoons butter, or more if needed
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Cook and stir leeks and onion until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Sign up now and get up to
Stir potatoes and chicken broth into onion mixture; simmer until potatoes are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Pour half-and-half into potato soup and continue to simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes more.
Stir Cheddar cheese, parsley, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper into soup until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.