- 2 (8.5 ounce) packages dry corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
- Salt to taste (optional)
Mix corn muffin mix, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a bowl until blended.
Sign up now and get up to
Stir eggs and evaporated milk into dry ingredients until moistened.
Stir cream-style corn into mixture to make a moist batter. Let batter stand while oil heats.
Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Gently drop a teaspoon of batter at a time into the hot oil, staying as close to the oil as possible to avoid splattering. Fry hush puppies until golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch.
Remove hush puppies with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Sprinkle with salt if desired.