- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a shallow 1 quart baking dish.
Sign up now and get up to
Whisk flour, baking powder, white sugar, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Mix in the milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Stir in nuts. Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
Mix brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa powder together; sprinkle over batter in baking dish. Pour the boiling water slowly over the top of the batter and topping.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. The top of the cake will be set and the bottom will be soft. Invert hot cake onto a platter to serve.