- 3 pounds flank steak, pounded thin for easy rolling
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can finely chopped black olives (optional)
- 1 cup minced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 6 slices mortadella
- 10 slices mozzarella cheese
- 10 slices pepperoni sausage
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Sign up now and get up to
Rub the flank steak on both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle the mushrooms and olives over the steak, if using. Place a layer of prosciutto, then a layer of mortadella, mozzarella, and then pepperoni. Season with some of the Italian seasoning. Roll the steak up around the filling, and tie with butcher's string. Rub the outside of the roll with remaining Italian seasoning, garlic powder and steak seasoning.
Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Sear the roast over the entire outside. Then leave the roast in the skillet, and place the skillet in the oven.
Roast for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F (70 degrees C) when taken in the center of the roast. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.