- 1 1/2 pounds Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir sausage in the Dutch oven until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until onion is tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
Sign up now and get up to
Stir chicken broth, tomatoes, carrots, celery, ketchup, and red wine into sausage mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until carrots and celery are tender, about 30 minutes. Add tortellini and zucchini to the soup and cover; simmer until zucchini are tender, 25 to 30 more minutes. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with Parmesan cheese.