- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 butternut squash – peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- Water as needed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook almonds in the melted butter until light brown, about 5 minutes. Pour 1 cup vegetable broth into the pot; bring to a simmer and cook until warmed, 1 to 2 minutes.
Sign up now and get up to
Pour remaining broth into the pot; add butternut squash, carrots, onion, and garlic. Pour enough water into the pot to assure the vegetables are completely submerged; bring to a simmer and cook until the carrots are completely soft and the volume of the liquid has reduced by about 1/3, 15 to 20 minutes.
Pour broth mixture into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until smooth.
Pour pureed soup into a separate vessel. Stir Worcestershire sauce, cinnamon, chili powder, brown sugar, and salt into the soup.