- 1/2 pound bacon strips
- 1/2 cup bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
- 1/4 pound chorizo sausage, crumbled
- 5 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 whole chipotle pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, pricked with a fork
Fry bacon strips in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels. Reserve 1/2 cup bacon drippings.
Sign up now and get up to
Place drippings in a large pot, and warm over medium heat. Fry onions until light brown. Stir in ham and chorizo. Reserve 1 cup of beans, and add the rest to the pot, along with the chipotle and garlic.
Mash the reserved beans, then add to the pot. Simmer beans until thick and soupy, about 30 minutes. (If the beans become too dry, stir in water). Remove chipotle and garlic, and serve.