- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 carrots, diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 pound cooked shrimp
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimento peppers, drained
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes; set aside. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
Sign up now and get up to
In a large saucepan or pot, melt butter over medium heat, and saute carrots, onions, bell pepper, celery, mushrooms, and zucchini, until just tender. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Let cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.
Mix shrimp, pimientos, and chili powder into the pot. Stir in cooked rice and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
Pour mixture into a 9×13 inch dish. Bake in preheated oven until the rice mixture thickens, about 40 minutes.