- 1 pound smoked beef sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
Place the sausage and onion into a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook and stir until the sausage begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the black-eyed peas, chicken stock, water, and cayenne pepper, and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.