- 1 (1 1/2 pound) whole red snapper, cleaned and scaled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 large carrot, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves stripped
- 1 allspice berry, cracked
- 1/4 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch brown sugar
Pat the fish dry and cut 3 small slits on each side of the fish. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
Sign up now and get up to
Heat 1 quart oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Carefully place the fish in the pan and fry until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes per side. Remove fish and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir onion, garlic and carrot into the pan; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes. Add thyme, allspice, habanero pepper, vinegar, water, salt, and sugar and continue cooking until onions have softened and liquid has reduced, about 5 minutes.
Serve fish topped with onion mixture spooned over the top.